Gas Explosion

Thursday, July 15, 2004
Take a porto-potty, a cigarette, and a build-up of methane gas. What do you have? A recipe for diaster...
Smoker Ignites Portable Toilet Explosion

BLACKSVILLE, W.Va. (AP) - Warning: smoking in the toilet can be dangerous. A portable toilet exploded Tuesday after a man who was inside it lit a cigarette.

Emergency workers said the man was not severely injured [...] The explosion, which occurred in Blacksville, resulted from a buildup of methane gas inside the portable toilet. The methane did not "take too kindly" to the lit cigarette, said a spokeswoman for Monongalia Emergency Medical Services.